Sunday, 21 June 2015

Satin, spots and Si Cranstoun

Last week, a group of us headed out to see Si Cranstoun at a huge hall about an hour's drive from Melbourne. I had no idea what to wear, but since it was more of a rock 'n' roll dance, I opted for a full skirt dress I've only worn once before. I bought it a few years ago on ebay, and I've never seen another one like it. 


At first glance, it looks like a gold dress with black polka dots, but when you look closely, the fabric is actually cream satin with gold flecks and flocked spots made up of tiny little velvet dots. My husband took great joy in pointing out that I'd "left all my buttons undone" but they're purely for decoration!


I imagine the dress must have been pretty expensive back in the day, as it has two labels. One for the designer, Campus Juniors, and one for the boutique where it was sold - Frank R. Jelleff of Washington D.C. Imagine how beautiful that store must have been!


I didn't take many photos at the gig itself, as it was very dark and very packed. Si Cranstoun's voice sounded great, and the crowd absolutely loved him, especially when he sang anything by Jackie Wilson! I also appreciated the decorations around the hall itself, which looked like something out of a Wes Anderson film.

Si Cranstoun and his band. Set design by Wes Anderson. 

Here's to Saturday nights filled with Jackie Wilson songs, and fancy dresses with two labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment