Monday, 29 June 2015

Ladies' high tea at Labassa Mansion



Today I headed out with my friend Paula-Jane of Powderpuff Boutique to a special high tea for the Miss Fisher's costume exhibition. Held at Labassa Mansion, it featured a special display of 1920s fashions from the National Trust's vintage clothing collection and a talk by the curator.

I'm not big on 1920s fashion, but I never shy away from a wardrobe challenge, so I put together an outfit around this Alannah Hill hat I’ve owned for at least five years and never worn. (I know! I know! This is an issue for many reasons.) I paired the outfit with a silk velvet 40s top, 80s wide pants and a Lucite purse.

Hat: Alannah Hill. Top: 1940s vintage. Bracelets: ebay
Top lightened to show detail
Lucite genie purse: ebay
Not exactly 1920s, but I'm going with it!
Labassa Mansion is huge, opulent and slightly run down, which makes it pleasany creepy, especially in the upstairs rooms. It's also rumoured to be haunted, but the only things that appeared to us today were delicious cakes and sandwiches. No complaints here!

Labassa mansion. Image via Flickr
Posing in the main room with its incredible fireplace. Paula-Jane's dress: Doll Deluxe
1920s fashions from the National Trust collection. All garments were owned by local women and donated to the Trust.
No ghost here. Only sneaky dining room selfies
Still life with tasty treats, red lipstick and lucite purse

2 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! Lovely blog! Ciao from Italy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caramella! I'd love to come to Italy someday!

      Delete