Sunday, 29 March 2015

A quick tour around my wardrobe

A couple of weeks ago, I was invited take part in a new project from photographer Garth Oriander. Titled ‘What Makes Them Tick’ it’s a series of portraits and interviews with advertising creatives with unique interests outside the industry. 


Since the main things I collect are vintage western, Hawaiian and cocktail attire, we chose one example of each to feature in different locations around my home. Like most collections built up over a number of years, each piece also comes with a story which I thought I’d share here.

1. Connie western suit
I once had a boss who was um, a bit difficult. He was always calling meetings and then disappearing, so nobody ever knew what was going on. As a result, I spent a lot of time waiting at my desk with absolutely nothing to do. On one such day, I decided to take a sneaky look at ebay and found this suit by Connie of Denver. It had just been listed with a cheap buy it now, so I pounced on it without even reading the description properly. I am so lucky my boss chose that exact moment to disappear.

2. Pink ruched rhinestone cocktail dress
This dress didn’t really have an interesting story until I happened to wear it to see Marti Brom last year. I was just watching the show, minding my own business when suddenly Marti pointed to me and said, “You! You there in the pink dress! Come here!” And I was like, “Whaaaaat? Am I in trouble or something?” The venue was packed, and people were craning their necks to see what I’d done to make Marti take a break between songs. (I didn’t know either!) So it turns out Marti had spotted my dress and remembered she used to own one just like it, which she’d sold to Stutterinmama, who listed it on etsy, which is where I bought it. Yay, my dress is famous! And since hundreds of people were watching while we worked this out, it’s even more famous now.


3. Surfriders Sportswear rayon sarong dress
I bought this dress within hours of arriving in LA for the first time. It was just sitting there in the first store I went into! I ended up buying a few things from that store, so my first impression of LA was that vintage was cheap, amazing and everywhere. That was a long time ago, but that feeling has never quite left me. I’m still somehow convinced that rayon sarong dresses lurk around every corner in Los Angeles!





Here’s to outfits with a past, and sneaky ebay purchases! If you'd like to read the whole story, it's live now at What Makes Them Tick.

All images copyright Garth Oriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment